Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm... Or Was it the Storm?

We had a thunderstorm two days before Christmas. The pounding thunder makes my heart flutter.  I can't get enough of that adrenaline rush that comes with a thunderstorm.


One of my little ones, however, does not find the storms so thrilling.




You can tell that instead of excitement, she actually feels terror.  It makes me think of the what it must feel like to see the glory of the Lord.  Luke 2 talks about the Shepherds who were surrounded by the glory of the Lord, and they were terrified.  There is more to the story though, because just as I know that the amazing thunderstorm in all its awesomeness and glory is nothing to be afraid of, the angel of the Lord brings the message to the shepherds, "“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Maybe this is a bit cliche', but in my life it really means something. It means I have a hope.  It means that I have a God who cares for me.  He sees my heart and all the bad in it, yet still, he sent his son for me so that I would know that although his glory may seem terrifying, he cares.  In reality it is awesome.  In every true sense of the word.  I stand in awe of what my God has done for me. 

Just because "Christmas"  is over, it's not too late to think about this.  It's never to late.  Come to him where you are and tell him that you need a hope, and as I said to Ana when she came running from her bedroom: "Remember, Jesus calms the storm."

Tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment