Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Recycled Discovery Bottles

Have you ever seen those "Find It" jars?  They look like this:



I decided to make a greener and much less expensive (free!)  version using things I had at home.  I hope you give it a try too.

Materials:
  • Washed water or pop (I'm from Pittsburgh- I refuse to say "soda") bottles with lids and labels removed
  • Colored sand or plain sand or rice, beans, or beads
  • Small objects to find- paperclips, beads, stones, marbles, etc.
  • Super Glue
  • Funnel
Instructions:

Use the funnel to add all of the objects and sand to the bottle.  For a smaller child, don't fill the bottle to the top.  It's easier to find the objects when the bottle isn't filled to the top.

Next, glue the top onto the bottle and start searching!

For a variation, add water, oil, and food coloring to the bottle before gluing the top on. 



Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 comments:

  1. I saw another post that suggested Gatorade bottles. We've got the empty bottles, but haven't filled them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gatorade bottles might be nice too. They are wide, thick, and they are interesting with all of their indentations. My friend made them years ago with water bottles, and they don't hold up as well because they are thinner.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome. I'm amazed at what people can think of using stuff that is laying around. I'll have to do this with my daughter this week. Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I got this idea from a friend years ago who used it in her classroom. As it turns out everyone in my family enjoys them from my nephew who is 9 months to my husband! I hope you like making them!

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I had featured your post previously at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page. I just added it to my Any-Season Sensory Tubs/Sensory Experiences Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/any-season-sensory-tubs-sensory-experiences/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature! I love your Pinterest Boards, and it's an honor to be included!

      Delete