Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wild and Wonderful

PPG Aquarium

Since we've gotten our membership to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, I've gotten good at managing two kids, a packed lunch, and heavy crowds on my own.  Add taking pictures to that, and well...  I guess I just can't take as many pictures as I would like.

Puffer fish at the PPG Aquarium

As I was pouring over my pictures this morning, I was wondering- How eco-friendly is a zoo?  I've heard people say that they don't lie zoos because its mean to cage an animal.  Is there more to it than that?  So I started searching..

water play at the Pittsburgh Zoo

What I came up with is a very clear answer- it depends.  Ha!  Of course that would be the answer.  On one side, zoos try to protect endangered species, and the zoo is a great lace to educate the public about conservation.  The other side of the story, however, is that all zoos are not created equal.  Some zoos even poorly house and inadequately feed the endangered species that they are claiming to save.  This is especially true of small zoos.   Here is a list of all the zoos accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA).  I was happy to see that the Pittsburgh Zoo was on there!

Posing with the elephant- her favorite

This is by no means a complete study of the Eco-friendlyness of zoos, and I think that there are usually ways to get better and change.  I was curious though, and I thought I'd share some of the tidbits that I found.

Sisters in a canoe at the water's edge at the Pittsburgh Zoo


looking into the large aquarium

at the PPG Aquarium
sleeping in her stroller at the zoo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment