Thursday, November 1, 2012

Grammie's Pumpkin Cookies

With Halloween postponed in our neighborhod, the girls and I decided to make pumpkin cookies.  They are an old family favorite.  My mom would always make them, and now I've been making them for years.  The recipe is very easy, and the result is incredible. I use as many organic ingredients as I can find for nearly organic cookies.   If you don't know how to bake down a pie pumpkin to use in the recipe, see my post on Pie Pumpkins for help.  Halloween might be over, but these cookies still taste great in November!

 

Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup shortning
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Mix the first three ingredients.  Mix other ingredients in separate bowl.  Mix into liquids.  Drop teaspoons of dough onto un-greased cookie sheet.  Bake until light brown (8-10 minutes).  Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool.

Light Brown Glaze

1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 Tablespoons milk

Heat butter in saucepan until light brown.  Stir in sugar and vanilla.  Stir in milk until smooth. 

 


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 comments:

  1. These look good! Will have to share with my sister who loves to bake. :)

    ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she bakes you some! They really are to die for. I wish I still had some left now!

      Delete
  2. Wow they look yummy!! Thanks for stopping by my blog so I could find yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! It was my pleasure! I'm glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. These look lovely, kids to enjoy helping out on something lovely like this

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. i will have to pin this one...my hubby LOVES anything pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delish! I think the glaze would just MAKE those! Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I ate one before I glazed them. It was good, but after the glaze- DIVINE!

      Delete
  6. So sorry that Halloween was postponed for your kiddos, but what a great way to celebrate! They look so moist and delicious, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Saturday. It worked out better anyway since it was still raining on the 31st. Those cookies were soooo good. I hope you tried some!

      Delete
  7. Oh, we may have to give these a try. My daughter and I love pumpkin and on the bonus side my husband does not so he won't eat them all on us. Thank you so much for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that IS a bonus! My husband has a way of eating quite a bit of my stash of these cookies! Plus, my kids looove them. You should hide a few for good measure!

      Delete
  8. These look incredible! :) Thanks for sharing last week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! You are a featured favorite this week! We can't wait to see what you've been up to this week! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)
    cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look awesome. I pinned this recipe because I want to make these as soon as I cut up and cook down my pumpkin. :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning it. I made mine with fresh pumpkin, and mmmm- there's noting like that yummy smell that fills the house when baking down pumpkin.

      Delete
  10. These look great. I've just started eating pumpkin this year, so I'll give these a shot! Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing at Happy Family Times!

    ReplyDelete