Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pie Pumpkins





 Thanks to my last share from Left Bower Farm (and no thanks to my own failed pumpkin growing), I have two wonderful pie pumpkins.  I might use them for a pie, but I will definitely be using them for pumpkin cookies!  Have you ever cooked down pumpkin before?  It's easy:

Materials:
Pumpkin
Oven
Jellyroll pan
Water
Spoon
Blender

1. Cut the pumpkin in half horizontally. Remove all of the seeds and stringy parts leaving just the fruit on the skin. 
2. Place on a jellyroll pan with about 1/4 inch of water.
3. Bake the pumpkin in the oven for about an hour on 350 degrees.
4. Use a spoon to scrape the pumpkin into the blender.
5. Compost the skin and stem.  
6. Puree and then measure portions according to the recipes that you plan on making.  Refrigerate the pumpkin if you plan on using it in the next few days, but otherwise label and freeze the pumpkin. 

Now maybe you can help me- what is your favorite recipe for fennel?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment